Alleged abuse takes shine off Workington Town‘s win
Last updated at 11:42, Monday, 21 May 2012
Workington Town are trying to trace three of their supporters who allegedly verbally abused the referee after yesterday’s magnificent win against Doncaster.
West Cumbrian whistler Gareth Hewer contacted a Rugby League official after he had been subjected to a verbal onslaught when he went to his car after the game at Derwent Park.
He made the complaint and then Workington Town officials were informed, prompting an investigation and search for the three people involved.
Chairman Dave Bowden said that the incident had taken the gloss off what had been a brilliant afternoon for the club.
Town had been 18-0 behind to Championship One leaders Doncaster in the first quarter of the game before they came back superbly to win the game 45-18.
Coach Gary Charlton said: “We weren’t very good for 20 minutes but then we really showed what we are capable of. It was a great effort to turn the game round by scoring 45 unanswered points.
“We will be having a look at the video, especially the first 20 minutes to see why we started so poorly. We know what we can do and we just have to keep drilling home the message that if we play like we did in the last hour we will take some beating.
“Obviously Jamie Thackray has made a big difference to us this season and this was a mighty powerful performance from. I thought the second-row pair of Brett Phillips and Jarrad Stack also deserved a mention in the pack.”
Thackray was responsible for bringing Mark Calderwood to the club and the former England international marked a very solid debut with a try, whilst making two of Elliott Miller’s hat-trick.
Calderwood said: “The only problem I’ve had since coming to Workington is remembering all the names, and the language!
“It was Jamie Thackray who got me up to west Cumbria and I’m thankful to him and the Town chairman for giving me the chance to resume my rugby league career.
“As far as I’m concerned all I want to do is help Town win promotion.”
But once more Town’s momentum will be checked as they are without a game next Sunday and won’t be playing at Derwent Park again until June 24 when Whitehaven will be the visitors.
Charlton said: “We have mentioned the gaps in the fixture list to the Rugby League and we just hope that if we make the top four there will be a full fixture list in the Championship next season.”
While Town have to wait until June 3 to resume their Championship One programme at Rochdale, who slipped to their fifth defeat of the season – going down 32-30 away to North Wales.
First published at 11:26, Monday, 21 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Man, 36, arrested after serious sexual assault in West Cumbria
- Hunt for man throwing punches outside Cumbrian pub
- Rocker Dez thinks big to promote his rock night
- Talks continue over Workington slag banks crucifix (16 comments)
- Cumbrian taxi driver charged with sex attack on woman, 18, remanded in custody