Don't view Uppies and Downies through rose tinted spectacles
Published at 14:26, Thursday, 03 September 2009
IN HIS letter (Times & Star, August 28) Andy Byers claims that Workington’s Uppies and Downies is now primarily a charity event, having raised over £75,000 since 2001.
While describing the Uppies and Downies in glowing and romantic terms, he omits to mention the damage and distress the game often causes.
I would remind My Byers that this year’s Easter ball game involved a mob fighting for a ball on Workington’s Ladies Walk and damaging several cars in the process, before moving to the cricket field and damaging fences.
Many people in Workington, either as individuals or as members of organisations, manage to raise money for charities without breaking the law.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- 45 people evacuated as bus catches fire near Cockermouth
- Missing ex-England rugby league international found safe and well
- Tributes to Cumbria crash tragedy teenager
- 'We want hospital we were promised', MP tells 4,000-strong health rally (39 comments)
- Talks continue over Workington slag banks crucifix (21 comments)