Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 02 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Back to the gym

Ahhhhhhhhh. That's better.

I've just got back from my first visit to the gym in a week.

It wasn't too bad but I think my walk might resemble a wobbling jelly for the next couple of days while my legs recover.

My arms are suffering in a similar way.

It wasn't really my fault I didn't exercise for a week.

Last Thursday I had to spend the evening baking for a family picnic so I didn't have time to head for the treadmill.

Then on Friday I drove to Wiltshire to see my mum,

I was full of good intentions and had packed my running gear and water bottle in the hope that I would have time for a jog around her local country park.

The trouble was, by the time we'd met up with family for a day of bridesmaid dress shopping and then the aforementioned picnic, followed by a little trip around some of the shops I only get to visit when I'm in Swindon, there just wasn't time.

Then there was Sunday, when I had to drive back home and by the time I arrived back in Workington I wasn't fit for much other than a big sleep.

I would have gone for a workout after I'd finished touring the jubilee parties of West Cumbria on Monday or Tuesday (maybe both) but the gym was shut for the bank holidays.

Well, I guess it's only fair that the gym staff have a couple of days off every now and then.

So it was that I went a week without a workout.

Oh, and my eating habits hadn't been quite in line with my nutrition plan either.

Well, I had to take advantage of the fact I was passing Rheged on Friday lunchtime to pop in for a wild boar burger with Grasmere Gingerbread.

That wasn't so bad on its own but then the picnic on Saturday (including belated birthday cake for Mum), followed by a jubilee indoor picnic on Sunday before I headed home, and the cupcake I bought at one of Tuesday's jubilee events meant one big cross on my food diary for the week.

Thank goodness John the fitness trainer is no longer monitoring everything I eat.

All things considered, I expected today's workout to be quite hard work.

It wasn't actually as bad as I'd expected.

I thought I would struggle hugely but the regular visits must be helping to build up my strength and resilience.

The hand bike was hard work (but I did my best not to show it while three far-fitter-than-me men sat nearby using the weights machines).

Oh, and the treadmill was harder than ever and I ended up holding the hand rail to avoid falling off the back.

My workout-ending six minutes of rowing seemed easier than usual, though.

I've never known those 360 seconds zoom past so quickly.

Normally it feels like it's taking a week.

I think I'll try to pop back tomorrow to get back to the regular visits.

I never thought I'd say this but I quite enjoy going to the gym.

Just need to get back to the jogging now.

By Sarah Nicholls
Published: June 6, 2012


Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment

Hot jobs
Search for:


Would you consider cancelling your holiday abroad following the events in Tunisia?



Show Result