Carlisle couple meet matchmaker Ed Miliband
Last updated at 11:32, Tuesday, 03 April 2012
A couple whose romance was partly inspired by Ed Miliband met the Labour leader in Carlisle last night.
David Atkinson asked out fiancee Karen Gallagher at a union meeting with the line: “Do you want to come and see Ed Miliband with me?”
The pair attended a rally addressed by the Labour leader at the Crown and Mitre as a first date.
Romance blossomed and they are due to get married in September.
They met Mr Miliband at the launch of Labour’s local election campaign in Carlisle at the Richard Rose Academy last night.
“I would love to say that wasn’t my chat-up line, but sadly it was,” said Mr Atkinson, a Unison union activist.
“I invited her along to that meeting and we found we shared a lot of the same interests and things developed from there.
“We told Ed last night and he has taken the credit for it.”
Ms Gallagher is Labour’s candidate for the Yewdale ward in next month’s city council elections.
Mr Atkinson added: “I was impressed with what Ed had to say. He told us to be patient and demonstrate to voters how Labour can offer an alternative at local and national level.”
First published at 11:30, Tuesday, 03 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Bid to revitalise Workington's 'industrial spine' as Eastman plant closes (6 comments)
- Legal challenge over Cockermouth's Taste Cumbria event (16 comments)
- Mum slims down after fairground ride shame
- Nuclear college to be built in West Cumbria (8 comments)
- Comedian Sean Lock sells out Workington’s Carnegie Theatre in record time (5 comments)