Carlisle man cleared of sex abuse charges
Last updated at 13:50, Thursday, 29 November 2012
A man has been cleared of indecent assault and indecency with a child.
A jury unanimously found Richard Key, 47, not guilty of all the charges he faced following a trial at Carlisle Crown Court.
Mr Key, of Diggle Road, Longsowerby, Carlisle, had to wait to discover his fate after the jury were sent out to consider their verdicts late yesterday morning.
But they returned not guilty verdicts following deliberations.
Mr Key had been alleged to have carried out a four-year catalogue of abuse against a girl. It had been alleged to have begun when she was seven.
He was arrested last year after she went to police. She is now an adult.
Mr Key had vehemently denied all the allegations she made against him.
The court was told that after his arrest he said there was no truth in what she had said.
Mr Key was found not guilty of four charges of indecency with a child and four counts of indecent assault.
First published at 13:49, Thursday, 29 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Greggs branch closing (2 comments)
- New West Cumbrian bar and bistro will create 20 jobs (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian woman banned from 45 shops
- Staff devastated after fire destroys part of Cumbrian hospital (6 comments)
- Schools shut amid traffic chaos in snow-hit Cumbria (11 comments)