X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 23 October 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Carlisle murder inquiry: victim named

Police have formally named a man whose death is at the centre of a murder investigation in Carlisle.

Joseph Downie Howard photo
Joseph Downie Howard

Related: Carlisle police hunt murder suspect

They confirmed this afternoon that the man who died after suffering stab wounds in the city on Sunday was Joseph Downie Howard, 34, of the city's Osborne Avenue.

Mr Howard, who was known as Downie, was fatally injured during a disturbance in Balfour Road, Raffles.

Murder squad detectives investigating his death still want to speak to two men in connection with what happened.

The victim’s mother, Susan Howard, today spoke of her family’s grief.

She said: “On behalf of the family I would like to thank everyone for their support and sympathy at this terrible time.

“Downie was the eldest of my six children and lived life to the full. He will be sadly missed but never forgotten.”

A dedicated team of detectives from Carlisle CID continues to investigate Mr Howard’s death.

Detective Chief Inspector Jason Hudson, who is leading the probe, said: “We believe two local men were involved in this incident and are following a number of strong lines of enquiry to trace them.

“We have been conducting house to house enquiries, scouring CCTV and speaking to key witnesses however I know there are others out there with information which could assist us who have yet to come forward.

“So I am urging any witnesses or anyone who has any background information which could help us solve this case to get in touch with the team on 0845 3300247 or pass on information anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

Police were called to the scene at 11.50am on Sunday following reports of a disturbance. At around the same time they were notified that a man had been taken to hospital with stab wounds.

DCI Hudson said the man was not transported by ambulance but taken to A&E by a third party. He said they know who this person was and confirmed that they are not being treated as a suspect.

However, he said despite an extensive search of the local area, they have yet to trace the murder weapon and are still trying to build up a full picture of the events leading up to the death.

“I would urge anyone with information to either talk to the police or report it anonymously through Crimestoppers,” he added.

Neighbours were shocked by the incident, which saw the area sealed off on Sunday.

One told the News & Star that there had been a disturbance at the property the previous day.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Hot jobs
Search for:

Vote

Is it right for the county council to charge a £20 admin fee for residents' parking permits?

Yes, the council needs to cover its costs.

No, we pay enough taxes and fees already.

Show Result