Coach pleased with plucky Workington Town performance
Last updated at 12:21, Monday, 14 January 2013
Workington Town’s plucky performance in defeat against Super League Widnes earned top marks from coach Martin Oglanby.
After watching his depleted squad hold the Vikings to 30-6 at the Stobart Stadium, Oglanby insisted it was an encouraging effort three weeks ahead of the new Championship season.
“We set them a few targets and goals for the game and we are delighted with how they responded to those challenges.
“It was a really good effort with a makeshift side against a Super League outfit who have already had the benefit of one hard run-out against Warrington,” said Oglanby.
Town were short of nine regulars and had to use two amateur players – Adam Ramsden (Distington) and Greg Rowley (Glasson), along with conditioner Matthew Johnson.
“I can’t thank those two amateur lads enough. They did us proud.
“I have to give a special word to Matthew who filled in on the wing and did a super job. He’s at the top of his game as a conditioner and I think he’ll be well pleased with how the lads lasted the pace against a Super League side.”
First published at 12:17, Monday, 14 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- Council disputes claim multi-storey car park is £1m flop (15 comments)
- Tonga star agrees Workington Town deal
- Restaurant owner died in crash after drink-driving - inquest