Cumbria rail line closed after crash
Last updated at 11:56, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
The Carlisle to Whitehaven rail line was closed after a car hit a bridge in Wigton.
The 2.20pm service from Carlisle to west Cumbria was delayed while Network Rail engineers checked the bridge near Wigton station yesterday.
Only minor damage was found and the Northern Rail services were restored later by 3.30pm.
Meanwhile a signalling problem caused disruption between Carlisle and Appleby at about 4.10pm yesterday.
It meant trains between the city and Leeds were delayed by up to 20 minutes.
Earlier in the day a broken down freight train at Penrith caused 45 minute hold-ups on the Carlisle to Lancaster line.
First published at 11:40, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts
- Restaurant owner died in crash after drink-driving - inquest
- Council disputes claim multi-storey car park is £1m flop (19 comments)
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)