Cumbrian amateur RL player will fight two-year ban
Last updated at 12:41, Thursday, 26 July 2012
An amateur rugby league player has spoken out after being banned from the pitch for two years for punching a fan.
Martin Thompson, 27, has vowed to fight the ban, which was announced earlier this week as punishment for his role in a violent incident in a cup final at Lowca between his club, Kells A, and Flimby.
Mr Thompson left the field of play early in the second half to confront a Flimby fan who he claimed had been abusive towards him during the game. A brawl ensued which resulted in the match being abandoned.
The ban was imposed at a hearing of the Cumberland Amateur Rugby League management committee.
After the decision he said: “I’m not proud of what happened, but I feel I have been victimised by receiving such a lengthy ban.
“I launched an appeal against the ban straight away because I don’t think I should be banned from the game for defending myself.”
Kells A and Flimby were both fined £200 with a further £200 suspended for a year, for causing an abandoned game and bringing the game into disrepute.
Roger Blair, the chairman of Cumberland ARL, said: “The seriousness with which this was viewed by the committee is clearly demonstrated by the fines handed out and the suspension.
“We had to respond as a committee when you have young kids watching and something likes this happens; they are impressionable. We fully support what was done at the game by referee David Askew.”
The final will be replayed at a later date. The proceeds of the abandoned game will go to the Pride of Cumbria Air Ambulance.
First published at 11:28, Thursday, 26 July 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk