Cumbrian nurse who had affair with patient struck off
Last updated at 13:21, Friday, 16 November 2012
A nurse from Cumbria who admitted having an affair with a patient when he was investigated over his relationship with a second client has been struck off.
Andrew Wilkinson confessed to the seven-month fling with ‘patient A’ after a second woman claimed she had been romantically involved with him.
Wilkinson was treating patient A for a drink problem while working for the Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Team (Dart) in South Cumbria at the time of the relationship during 2010.
Nursing and Midwifery Council panel chair Jacqueline Mitton said Wilkinson still posed a threat to vulnerable patients.
She said: “Although he has expressed remorse and regret, the panel was not satisfied that he has the knowledge and understanding to handle similar situations should they arise in the future.
“This was serious sexual misconduct.”
Wilkinson told the hearing: “It was a big mistake. I know it was wrong. I was very good at my job for 20 years, but this has ruined my life.”
First published at 13:19, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Pram push to highlight concerns over West Cumberland Hospital services
- Fightback begins as Cockermouth Main Street reopens (7 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers accused of GBH were ‘watching rugby match’ - court
- Volunteer drivers step up after Maryport bus cuts (9 comments)
- Workington Jobcentre first in Cumbria to go digital (1 comment)