Dead woman was pregnant, confirm Cumbria police
Last updated at 07:42, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
A young woman whose sudden death in Workington has sparked a murder probe was in the early stages of pregnancy, police have confirmed.
The 21-year-old, whose body was discovered in a flat in Newlands Gardens on Sunday afternoon, has been formally named by police as Demi Burns.
As yet, few details about her personal background have been released by police.
But detectives involved in the investigation have said a 28-year-old local man who was arrested on suspicion of murder has been released and bailed to return to the town’s police station in January following further investigation.
After the tragedy, neighbours spoke of their shock at the death of Miss Burns.
Neighbour Alyson Beck, 27, said: “I am quite scared now. Knowing something like this has happened on your doorstep is a little bit scary. I can’t believe it.”
A police spokeswoman said detectives are continuing with their investigation. She added: “Police confirm that the woman has been formally identified as Demi Burns, aged 21, who was sadly found dead in her home address on Newlands Gardens, Workington.”
A Home Office post mortem has been held and further tests are ongoing to establish the cause of death. The coroner has been made aware.
First published at 07:40, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- HAVE YOUR SAY: £300m West Cumbrian water supply move to save mussels (14 comments)
- Facelift for Workington Hall if council can stump up the £300,000 (6 comments)
- Call for action in Cockermouth over huge trees (5 comments)
- Maryport mourns rugby player who died in Eastbourne Pier fall (1 comment)
- No compensation over Cockermouth roadworks (6 comments)