Ex-Keswick chef who stabbed waiter jailed for five years
Last updated at 11:37, Wednesday, 22 August 2012
An illegal immigrant who stabbed a waiter four times at the restaurant where they both worked and went on the run for five years has been jailed.
Former Keswick chef Fozlu Miah was working in the British Raj when he carried out the attack in January 2007.
His victim, Khalid Hussain, suffered wounds to his lower back and both arms. Two arteries in his right arm were completely cut and tendons that controlled movement in a thumb, fingers and wrist were almost completely severed.
Preston Crown Court heard that Miah, who went to work in the British Raj, in Ulverston, just months before the attack, disappeared for more than five years following the stabbing, which later featured on Crimewatch.
He was arrested by chance during a raid at an address in Bethnal Green, London, that was linked to immigration inquiries.
Mr David Temkin, prosecuting, said Miah was an illegal immigrant who had no visa. It had not been uncommon for the two men to argue with each other and Mr Hussain said he was often threatened by the defendant. Miah made similar assertions of threats and bullying towards him, which Mr Tenkin said was accepted by the prosecution.
On the evening of January 4, 2007 Mr Hussain entered the kitchen to inquire about a takeaway that had been ordered. An argument occurred between the two. During that Mr Hussain said: “Come outside, I’ll sort you out.”
After that, Mr Hussain went on to urge him to hurry up because the customer had been waiting for some time. Miah responded rudely. He went on to stab Mr Hussain to his lower back.
The victim went on to lose his job and even now struggles to hold a pen and can only use one hand to eat.
Miss Kim Chiswick, defending, said Miah had lashed out due to factors that had been causing him stress. Miah, 27, from Bangladesh, who admitted wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, was sentenced to seven-and-a-half years in prison.
First published at 11:24, Wednesday, 22 August 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- September decision on whether Americans will continue to run Sellafield (2 comments)
- £7m construction skills centre opening in west Cumbria
- Garden centre paying £47,000 to make nearby junctions safer
- BBC DIY SOS appeals for help with Cumbrian tot's house revamp
- West Cumbrian rapist sentenced to 12 years in prison