Fullback Niall Cowperthwaite set for Workington Reds return
Last updated at 11:57, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Workington Reds have been handed a injury boost ahead of this weekend’s home clash with promotion-chasing Altrincham.
Niall Cowperthwaite, the impressive fullback, missed the loss to Oxford City but is expected to regain his starting place on Saturday.
The 21-year-old was replaced by Dan Wordsworth after injuring his knee in the win at Colwyn Bay earlier this month.
He sat out Saturday’s disappointing defeat - a loss that extended Reds’ poor home form to six matches without success.
But boss Darren Edmondson believes he will be back in contention.
“From Colwyn there was a twist,” he said.
“He was inspected by our physio Susan (Pollock), and she thinks he has taken a knock that could have strained his medial ligament.
“We didn’t want to risk too much for the sake of one game, which is why Niall missed the match with Oxford.
“Niall needed to rest, but now he’s back and ready to go.”
Workington dropped to 19th in the Blue Square Bet North after last night’s matches.
Rejuvenated Histon won again, beating Altrincham 2-0.
First published at 11:47, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘one of Maryport’s loveliest men’ (4 comments)
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (48 comments)
- Maryport woman in court on Workington care home neglect charges
- Bidders needed to help serve up cafe on Maryport estate (1 comment)
- Teachers show heart for campaign as Workington school nears closure