Llama baby stuns Cumbrian hotel staff
Last updated at 12:09, Monday, 04 February 2013
A new llama has been born for the first time at a Lake District hotel – and her arrival took everyone by surprise.
The baby llama was born at the Gilpin Hotel, which has had a small herd of the animals for years, but no-one knew the mother was pregnant.
Managing director Barney Cunliffe said: “Although the gestation period for llamas is 350 days, it is notoriously hard to know when a llama is pregnant.
“Her arrival was a complete surprise, but she seems happy and healthy, and we’re getting her checked out to be on the safe side.”
He said they were now watching the other females “very closely” as they have been advised that one or more of them may also be pregnant.
The hotel has had llamas for five years but the new arrival is the first birth.
The hotel at Windermere is also asking people to submit suggestions for a name for the new llama via their Facebook page www.facebook.com/TheGilpin
First published at 11:40, Monday, 04 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Woman found dead in Workington toilet named
- Crisis talks as whole of Cockermouth Main Street to close for £1.7m work (9 comments)
- Calling time on Circuit Bar after 25 years
- £24,000 electric bill for £26,000 West Cumbrian chapel
- Man stole beer and chocolate buttons in store raid - police issue CCTV picture