Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 01 April 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Man fights for life after Cumbrian road crash

A 51-year-old motorist has been critically injured in a crash which closed part of a key Cumbrian road for several hours.

Bothel crash photo
The crash scene

The injured man was at the wheel of a black VW Passat, which was heading towards Carlisle on the A595 at Mealsgate yesterday afternoon.

The motorist, who police have confirmed is from Cleator Moor, was airlifted to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, where he was today still in a critical condition, said police.

The smash happened at Mealsgate, near Bothel, at 12.10pm yesterday.

A doctor and paramedic from the Pride of Cumbria Air Ambulance gave the man emergency treatment for chest and cardiac injuries, anaesthetising him.

Police said that the man’s east-bound VW collided with a red Toyota Yaris and an Iveco box van, both travelling in the opposite direction.

The 42-year-old van driver, from Durham, suffered a leg injury and was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle by ambulance.

His vehicle overturned in the crash, which happened half a mile south of The Larches caravan park.

The driver of the Toyota, a 59-year-old woman from Armathwaite in the Eden Valley, was shocked but uninjured.

Police accident investigators were quickly on the scene and the road remained closed as they worked.

Also at the scene were firefighters from Workington, Cockermouth and Aspatria.

Diversions were put in place and the A595 was closed for several hours – on its Carlisle side from Thursby roundabout and in the west from near Cockermouth.

Motorists who were diverted on to the A596 faced long tailbacks as they encountered temporary traffic lights in Aspatria.

Some drivers reported that the journey from Carlisle to Workington last night took almost two hours. The road was reopened at 8pm.

A police spokeswoman today said: “Police are appealing for anybody who might have witnessed the accident or who saw the cars involved before it happened to get in touch as soon as possible.”

Witnesses can call Cumbria Constabulary on the non-emergency number 101.


Hot jobs
Search for:


Will you watch BBC motoring show Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson?



Show Result