Awards for Cockermouth clothing firm
Published at 12:17, Friday, 21 December 2012
Cockermouth firm Planet Knox has won two awards for its products from motorcycle magazine Ride.
The business, based at the Derwent Mills Industrial Park, makes protective clothing for motorcyclists and mountain bikers and won the awards for its Cold Killers product.
The windproof clothing was awarded two best buys awards in the magazine – one in the technical base layers category for the Cold Killers sport top and pants, and the other in the mid layers section for their Cold Killers wind buggy.
Both products, which tested against some of the biggest names in motorcycle clothing, were made in Cockermouth after the firm moved its manufacturing base from Vietnam back to the town, creating new jobs.
Geoff Travell, managing director, said: “Ride is one of the most widely respected magazines so I am over the moon with the awards.
“It vindicates our decision to move our production back to Cockermouth and shows that we have maintained the quality.
“It is great for the machinists and manufacturers here that they can produce this good quality.
“It gives them confidence in their own ability and has given us confidence that we made the right decision to bring our manufacturing back to the UK.”
The manufacturing move means that 89 per cent of Planet Knox products are now made in the UK.
Mr Travell added: “It is great news for Cockermouth and it shows the skills are still here and that we can produce great stuff which is recognised.”
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Support is growing for Workington bypass demand
- ‘Truly glorious’, says RAF veteran as he soars again
- Time capsule message from Harrington pupils
- Excavation sheds more light on life in Roman Maryport
- Commonwealth baton honour for dairy man
- Classrooms put together in just a day
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (17 comments)
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company