Awards for Cockermouth clothing firm
Published at 12:17, Friday, 21 December 2012
Cockermouth firm Planet Knox has won two awards for its products from motorcycle magazine Ride.
The business, based at the Derwent Mills Industrial Park, makes protective clothing for motorcyclists and mountain bikers and won the awards for its Cold Killers product.
The windproof clothing was awarded two best buys awards in the magazine – one in the technical base layers category for the Cold Killers sport top and pants, and the other in the mid layers section for their Cold Killers wind buggy.
Both products, which tested against some of the biggest names in motorcycle clothing, were made in Cockermouth after the firm moved its manufacturing base from Vietnam back to the town, creating new jobs.
Geoff Travell, managing director, said: “Ride is one of the most widely respected magazines so I am over the moon with the awards.
“It vindicates our decision to move our production back to Cockermouth and shows that we have maintained the quality.
“It is great for the machinists and manufacturers here that they can produce this good quality.
“It gives them confidence in their own ability and has given us confidence that we made the right decision to bring our manufacturing back to the UK.”
The manufacturing move means that 89 per cent of Planet Knox products are now made in the UK.
Mr Travell added: “It is great news for Cockermouth and it shows the skills are still here and that we can produce great stuff which is recognised.”
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Fightback begins as Cockermouth Main Street reopens (1 comment)
- Volunteer drivers step up after Maryport bus cuts (2 comments)
- Work begins on Workington snooker hall demolition
- Security increased at theft-hit West Cumbrian church
- Maryport girl becomes youngest qualified diver in Cumbria
- West Cumbria GP to join fight against deadly Ebola
- West Cumbrian village hall work pays off
- New group planned to give a voice to Workington traders
- Cockermouth School to consult again on switching to an academy
- Battle on against Workington turbines