Business booming for Claire's Cockermouth coffee shop
Last updated at 16:57, Friday, 22 August 2014
A Cockermouth woman has reopened a town cafe with the help of her family.
Claire Ascroft, 40, of Lingfell Avenue, has taken over The Lanes, in Old Kings Arms Lane, six months after it closed under its previous management.
Her father Eric, brother Shaun and his partner Jill have helped to get the business off the ground.
They have helped to fully redecorate the cafe, offered advice and performed other tasks to get it up and running.
Claire’s 20-year-old daughter Jade and mother June are also working in the cafe which opened on Monday.
Claire, who has lived in Cockermouth all her life, previously worked at Sainsbury’s supermarket in the town, but enjoyed baking cakes in her own time.
She was on the verge of setting up her own cake business at home when the opportunity came up to take over the cafe.
She said: “We have been really busy since we opened. All the shops down this lane are lovely, which helps. I’m a Cockermouth lass so I think that makes a difference.”
The cafe sells breakfasts, jacket potatoes, sandwiches, cream teas, coffees and teas.
It also offers home-made cakes, as well as cakes for special occasions. There is a children’s corner and a kids’ menu.
The Lanes is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Saturday, but Claire hopes to open for evening meals on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays in the future.
As well as her daughter and mother, Claire has employed three other part-time staff members.
First published at 14:15, Friday, 15 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts
- New footpath offers a safe shortcut to town’s hospital
- School play is tribute to ‘wonderful father’
- Obituary - John Thompson, of Workington
- Carnival blow over costs and lack of volunteers (1 comment)
- M-Sport planning meeting postponed (5 comments)
- Last salute for retiring Colonel Tom
- Grateful Elvin gives back at Christmas
- Big day nears for Laura