Business booming for Claire's Cockermouth coffee shop
Last updated at 16:57, Friday, 22 August 2014
A Cockermouth woman has reopened a town cafe with the help of her family.
Claire Ascroft, 40, of Lingfell Avenue, has taken over The Lanes, in Old Kings Arms Lane, six months after it closed under its previous management.
Her father Eric, brother Shaun and his partner Jill have helped to get the business off the ground.
They have helped to fully redecorate the cafe, offered advice and performed other tasks to get it up and running.
Claire’s 20-year-old daughter Jade and mother June are also working in the cafe which opened on Monday.
Claire, who has lived in Cockermouth all her life, previously worked at Sainsbury’s supermarket in the town, but enjoyed baking cakes in her own time.
She was on the verge of setting up her own cake business at home when the opportunity came up to take over the cafe.
She said: “We have been really busy since we opened. All the shops down this lane are lovely, which helps. I’m a Cockermouth lass so I think that makes a difference.”
The cafe sells breakfasts, jacket potatoes, sandwiches, cream teas, coffees and teas.
It also offers home-made cakes, as well as cakes for special occasions. There is a children’s corner and a kids’ menu.
The Lanes is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Saturday, but Claire hopes to open for evening meals on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays in the future.
As well as her daughter and mother, Claire has employed three other part-time staff members.
First published at 14:15, Friday, 15 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Ofsted criticised by retiring head
- On the trail of woolly characters in Cockermouth
- Lidl pledges to use local firms in Maryport build
- Big ‘yes’ to Lidl store plan
- Lillian to retire so she can do more in the community
- Cumbria County Council chief defends difficult parking policy moves
- Obituary - Mary MacDonald, of Cockermouth
- CAMPAIGN: Help us keep hearts beating strongly in your community
- PHOTOS: Salute West Cumbria's superheroes (1 comment)
- ‘Alfie is my superhero' - Meet the children of the year