Business support group is wound up in Keswick
Last updated at 07:46, Friday, 04 May 2012
A group which spent six years working to boost business in Keswick has been scrapped.
Keswick Business Improvement District was launched in 2006 as a partnership between business and local government.
All eligible businesses paid a levy on top of their business rates and that money was spent on projects to increase trade.
Its work included the creation of a new car park at Fitz Park, support for events like the jazz festival and the production of shopping guides.
The initial five-year term ended in March last year and a ballot of traders then revealed that, while most traders who voted wanted it to continue, a second poll based on the rateable values of businesses was lost.
Some of the original committee stayed in place and worked towards building up a fresh proposal to put to a new vote last month.
This time, the vote based on rateable value was won, with 60 per cent support, but overall 55 per cent of businesses were against relaunching the scheme.
In total 271 businesses voted out of the 547 polled.
The group is now being wound up and its remaining funds – a few hundred pounds – will be passed to another organisation in the town to be used for the benefit of businesses.
Chairman Paul Titley said he felt the town had missed a huge opportunity.
He urged businesses to join Keswick Tourism Association – the only organisation in the town now working to develop business – to ensure their voices were heard.
First published at 06:09, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cumbrian councillor played solitaire during meeting (41 comments)
- Severed fingertip discovered in West Cumbria
- Aspatria woman Laura starts to find her voice
- Flimby mum and daughter take action after diabetes shock
- Cash raised in memory of Workington dad Kevin
- Workington band is still going strong
- Pictures legacy left to Maryport museum
- Tune in to Public Service Broadcasting at West Cumbrian festival
- Pupils take murderous revenge in Cockermouth
- West Cumbrian hairdresser aims to be next Miss Cumbria
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Browse the ASBO gallery (9 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)