Carla brews up for 25 years
Last updated at 14:30, Friday, 20 June 2014
A Flimby woman is celebrating 25 years of working at a family-run cafe in Workington.
Carla Dixon, 38, of Rye Hill Farm, started working at Tognarelli’s cafe on Pow Street when she was 13 during weekends and after school.
She got a job working at the cafe through her Workington Guides leader at the time, Angela Hawley, who owns Tognarelli’s with her brother Martin.
She started working there full-time when she was 19 and is now the cafe’s supervisor.
Carla, who is due to go on maternity leave in September to have her first baby, said: “I never thought I would be here for 25 years.
“It’s such a nice family atmosphere. The people I have worked with is the best memory of the last 25 years.
“We have a lot of regular customers who have come in for as long as I have been here.”
Martin, 46, and his sister Angela, 50, are the fourth generation of Tognarellis to run the family business after their great-grandparents moved to the area from Tuscany, Italy, in the 19th century.
Their great-uncle Giovanni Moscardini played football nine times for Italy in the 1920s, scoring seven goals.
Angela said: “It wouldn’t be the same without Carla. She is part of the furniture.
“Everybody knows her and everyone presumes she is part of the family, especially with her Italian first name.”
Staff presented Carla with flowers, a bottle of wine and gift vouchers. Several customers also took her flowers and chocolates.
First published at 14:24, Friday, 20 June 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Ex Maryport coastguard and his wife celebrate 50 golden years
- Final call-out for West Cumbrian fireman Brian
- Owners speak out in Cockermouth trees row
- Fight continues for Angel of the West in Workington (1 comment)
- Lottery blow for Cockermouth war commemorations (2 comments)
- Cockermouth Main Street dug up again after sewer collapse (1 comment)
- Dancewear shop set to open in Workington
- Cockermouth care home launches tea shop
- West Cumbrian high fliers on awards shortlist
- One Direction fans flock to Workington theatre show