Cockermouth's Bitter End pub will reopen its brewery
Last updated at 12:52, Friday, 28 June 2013
Cockermouth's Bitter End plans to relaunch its micro brewery at the pub by the start of August.
The Kirkgate pub moved its brewing operation to the Derwent Mills Commercial Park in 2009 as it wanted to concentrate more on its food offering.
The brewery closed in 2011 and sold its equipment to a London pub, but landlord Mike Askey has now decided to relaunch the business at its original location, building it all again from scratch.
He hopes to bring out the first beer by August 5, marking his 18th anniversary of taking over at the pub.
Mr Askey said he would move away from brewing real ales and concentrate more on kegged beers and lagers that will be on sale at the pub and on its website.
He said: “People seemed to miss it and the pub became too much like a restaurant.
“Having the brewery at the pub drew a lot of tourists and I have been missing that aspect of the business.
“We used to get awards for our beer and I want to recapture what we achieved in the past.”
Mr Askey, 53, who also owns The Royal Yew at Dean, started brewing in 1995.
At the time it was one of only two micro breweries in Cumbria, but there are now more than 35.
First published at 11:29, Friday, 28 June 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Pupils feel the beat at drumming workshop
- Couple’s aid for Romania passes 2,000 boxes mark
- Actors find Lost Boy in four days
- Tennis match reaches 50 years
- New WI aimed at helping women build friendships
- Proposals to move maternity services to Cockermouth
- Rescue plan for iconic West Cumbrian church
- Hospital woes spark vicar’s letter to PM
- Britain’s Afghan campaign was ‘worthwhile’ says mum
- Bench in memory of Trevor Fee
- Fightback begins as Cockermouth Main Street reopens (8 comments)
- Pram push to highlight concerns over West Cumberland Hospital services
- Cumbrian brothers accused of GBH were ‘watching rugby match’ - court
- Two killed instantly in car and motorbike tragedy - inquest
- Operation fiasco as patient’s notes go missing (1 comment)