Cockermouth sports shop closing as owners sell up
Last updated at 14:47, Friday, 02 November 2012
The owners of a Cockermouth sports shop are selling up after 25 years in the town.
Malcolm and Joan Craghill, who own Temple Sports, in Station Street, felt they could not continue after manager Pamela Graham moved on.
They have decided to sell to a local businessman, although they could not say who. They said it was unlikely it would remain as a sports shop.
The couple also own Craghills Boot Store and Temple Sports in Keswick, which is run by their son Jonathan, and both those stores will remain open.
Joan said: “Pamela, who ran the Cockermouth shop, decided she wanted a change of lifestyle. We are not getting any younger and the opportunity came to sell.”
The couple, who live at Manor Park, Keswick, opened Temple Sports in Cockermouth’s Main Street in 1987.
Five years later they moved to their current base, the former Cumberland House on Station Street.
They are keen sports people, both playing tennis and golf, while Malcolm also played cricket and rugby and is now chairman of Keswick Rugby Club.
Malcolm said: “We are extremely fortunate that our hobby of sport is also our business and that the boom in sportswear came along when it did.”
Temple Sports has supplied sports equipment to schools across Cumbria and southern Scotland since the 1980s.
It has also supplied uniforms for Cockermouth School pupils, and it will hold a closing down sale from next Friday until December 31.
Riff Raff on Main Street will now supply school uniforms.
First published at 11:50, Friday, 02 November 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Fallen tree closes main West Cumbria road
- Council facing inquiry into collusion claim
- Heartbreaking wait for life-saving donor (1 comment)
- Low-cost meals will help tackle poverty (1 comment)
- Charity night for hotel man's first quarter of a century
- Arctic war veteran finally gets medal
- Award for dedicated service to school
- Lee directs hard-hitting message on road safety
- Smartphone app helps lost walker
- Main Cockermouth roads reopen after woman knocked over