David sets out his stall with Workington fruit and veg shop
Last updated at 20:26, Thursday, 17 May 2012
A former Workington market stall trader has brought his fruit and vegetable business back to the town by opening a shop.
David Graham, 43, has opened Marra Fruits, in Pow Street, two years after Allerdale council decided not to renew the licence for his market stall of the same name outside the town’s Argos store.
He ran the stall, which operated on non market days, for about a year.
David, of Penrith, said: “I like Workington because I like the people and there was always good crack on the stall.
“I saw that the shop had been empty for a while so I just started again.”
Since closing down his stall David has continued in the food industry, helping out at his friend’s wholesale catering business.
He said: “I used to work on a wholesale market in Gateshead so I still know a lot of people there and that is why we can sell stuff so cheap.
“Everyone is tight with money at the moment so we buy in bulk, sell at market prices and turn everything around quickly.”
The business employs two full-time and two part-time staff and is currently open seven days.
He added: “Hopefully when we get the retail side started we will look to supply hotels and pubs and similar venues.
“Everyone has been really glad to see us back and I have seen lots of our old customers.”
First published at 19:20, Thursday, 17 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (16 comments)
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Workington care home put residents’ safety ‘at risk’
- West Cumbria woman Harriet turns 100
- Performing arts hub planned for Workington
- Workington boy scores top marks for school attendance
- Council couple lead Maryport parking charge fight
- Help former Workington Reds kit man net charity cash