David sets out his stall with Workington fruit and veg shop
Last updated at 20:26, Thursday, 17 May 2012
A former Workington market stall trader has brought his fruit and vegetable business back to the town by opening a shop.
David Graham, 43, has opened Marra Fruits, in Pow Street, two years after Allerdale council decided not to renew the licence for his market stall of the same name outside the town’s Argos store.
He ran the stall, which operated on non market days, for about a year.
David, of Penrith, said: “I like Workington because I like the people and there was always good crack on the stall.
“I saw that the shop had been empty for a while so I just started again.”
Since closing down his stall David has continued in the food industry, helping out at his friend’s wholesale catering business.
He said: “I used to work on a wholesale market in Gateshead so I still know a lot of people there and that is why we can sell stuff so cheap.
“Everyone is tight with money at the moment so we buy in bulk, sell at market prices and turn everything around quickly.”
The business employs two full-time and two part-time staff and is currently open seven days.
He added: “Hopefully when we get the retail side started we will look to supply hotels and pubs and similar venues.
“Everyone has been really glad to see us back and I have seen lots of our old customers.”
First published at 19:20, Thursday, 17 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Proud to be Cumbrian? Tell us why!
- Maryport gets life-saving campaign boost
- Candidates stand up to scrutiny at hustings
- Trevor’s photography hobby soars to even greater heights
- Computer helps Laura in her bid to communicate
- Thousands expected to flock to key sheep show in Cockermouth
- Workington factory ends production (1 comment)
- Motley crew to light up stage a prelude to Georgian Fair
- Drive for new volunteers for vital car service (1 comment)
- New task force to tackle town’s pigeon population (2 comments)