Family opens bakery in town
Last updated at 19:55, Thursday, 02 August 2012
A family-owned bakery has opened for business in Cockermouth.
Berry & Sons bakery, which has shops in Silloth and Wigton, opened the doors of its new Station Street branch on Saturday.
It is co-owned by Steve Berry and wife Rebecca, who are both from Silloth.
Steve is the third generation in his family to run the business after his grandfather and father. He took over from his father, John, in 2010 who had an accident while climbing in the Lake District, which left him unable to continue running the bakery.
His grandfather, also called Steve, started the business in 1962, first in Jarrow in the North East before moving to Abbeytown, near Silloth.
His grandfather was a cook for the merchant navy during World War Two and used to make fresh bread.
His passion for cooking fresh bread has remained within the business, as more than 10 varieties of homemade bread are cooked at the bakeries each day.
Steve, 33, said: “I am confident in our products and I am sure the people of Cockermouth will like them.”
The bakery sells sandwiches and cakes, including specialised celebration cakes. The business also does wholesale trade.
Rebecca, 26, will run the new bakery, and she said the reception in Cockermouth had been good.
The couple have two sons, Ethan, five, and Joe, one.
First published at 19:22, Thursday, 02 August 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Don't forget to pick up this week's Times & Star!
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (3 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status
- Workington Reds handed lifeline with major new sponsor
- Angry Cumbrian MP and council leader write to David Cameron about Sellafield deal (7 comments)
- Cumbrian hospital operating theatres to stay shut after alert
- Crash blocks busy Cumbrian road junction
- Benefits fraud woman sentenced by Cumbrian court