Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
Last updated at 15:37, Friday, 18 July 2014
One of Thomas Armstrong’s longest serving employees has retired after 42 years with the West Cumbrian building group.
Frank Harkness, 64, of Great Broughton, general manager and director of Thomas Armstrong Aggregates, joined the company as an HGV mechanic in 1972 when the business was based in Cockermouth.
Within a few months he was promoted to workshop foreman.
Three years later he became group transport manager and, in 1986, when the company moved to Flimby, he became group transport manager and general manager of Thomas Armstrong Aggregates.
He was then invited to become a director of Thomas Armstrong Aggregates, which is a position he has held up until his retirement.
Keith Denham, group chief executive, said: “Frank has been an absolute credit to the firm.
“His commitment and dedication has been exemplary and we thank him for all his hard work and wish him, his wife and the family well in his retirement”
But Frank’s keys haven’t quite been hung up for the last time.
The company has asked him to be available for advice when it is looking at purchasing new HGVs or plant machinery.
Frank said he was looking forward to spending more time with his grandson James, increasing his time walking on the fells with wife Lynn, and enjoying getting his BSA motorbike out of the garage for a ‘blast’.
First published at 15:35, Friday, 18 July 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
well done frank, and wishing you all the best for your well earned rest , from bob mclaughlin ex armstrongs hgv driver.
Make your comment
- Ofsted criticised by retiring head
- On the trail of woolly characters in Cockermouth
- Lidl pledges to use local firms in Maryport build
- Big ‘yes’ to Lidl store plan
- Lillian to retire so she can do more in the community
- Cumbria County Council chief defends difficult parking policy moves
- Obituary - Mary MacDonald, of Cockermouth
- CAMPAIGN: Help us keep hearts beating strongly in your community
- PHOTOS: Salute West Cumbria's superheroes (1 comment)
- ‘Alfie is my superhero' - Meet the children of the year