Gilcrux pub to reopen after flood
Last updated at 15:46, Friday, 07 March 2014
A village pub near Maryport will reopen next week for the first time since it was flooded out before Christmas.
The Masons Arms in Gilcrux suffered £15,000 damage after a freak heavy downpour on December 21.
Landlord Howard Boyes, 55, said he and his wife Lynda, 54, went into the pub from their upstairs home to find about 18 inches of water at the patio door.
He said: “There had been a freak heavy downpour and the rain was just running down the hill from behind us. It was quite frightening.”
The patio seals could not withstand the pressure and within minutes water was rushing through the pub.
Mr Boyes said the kitchen was not damaged but the pub needed a complete overhaul.
He said: “We have had to replace the bar and all the flooring and decor.
“We have also redone the exterior. It has been a difficult three months as we lost all our Christmas and New Year bookings, but we are looking forward to reopening.”
The couple, who previously ran a haulage business in Carlisle, took over the pub two years ago when they carried out a complete refurbishment.
Mr Boyes said: “Our regular customers will get a bit of a surprise. We have completely reinvented ourselves including introducing some new beers and the whole place looks entirely different.”
The pub will continue to serve evening meals from 6pm, and Sunday lunch from noon.
First published at 15:37, Friday, 07 March 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Ex Maryport coastguard and his wife celebrate 50 golden years
- Final call-out for West Cumbrian fireman Brian
- Owners speak out in Cockermouth trees row
- Fight continues for Angel of the West in Workington (8 comments)
- Lottery blow for Cockermouth war commemorations (3 comments)
- Cockermouth Main Street dug up again after sewer collapse (1 comment)
- Dancewear shop set to open in Workington
- Cockermouth care home launches tea shop
- West Cumbrian high fliers on awards shortlist
- One Direction fans flock to Workington theatre show