Investigation launched after incident at Workington factory
Last updated at 19:39, Thursday, 29 March 2012
An investigation has been launched after an incident at Workington’s Iggesund Paperboard factory.
It is understood that 250 tonnes of steel fell to the ground on a construction site for the Siddick firm’s new biomass plant, early on Saturday,
A man working below had a narrow escape after he realised something was wrong and jumped out of the way, a source said.
It is believed a cherry picker that the man was working on was crushed by the steel.
The Health and Safety Executive is investigating the incident.
A spokesman for Iggesund was unable to confirm if anyone had been working in the area at the time but said no one was injured.
Jonny Lowe, head of HR at Iggesund, said: “The principle contractors informed us about an incident in the biopower construction site. A designed temporary support structure failed, resulting in some equipment dropping into an exclusion zone below.
“The scene was isolated during this phase of construction to eliminate risk. The principle contractor confirmed that no-one was injured. They are conducting investigations and work has resumed on site.”
A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: “We have been informed about this incident and will be carrying out an investigation.”
The principle contractor is responsible for the construction site. Mr Lowe declined to name the contractor involved.
First published at 19:23, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Welcome present for West Cumbrian drivers as petrol prices drop
- Crosby woman Jude’s is a model life she’s happy to see up on a wall (1 comment)
- Christmas shoppers brave West Cumbrian storm for late presents
- Workington Reds bid for big points haul from festive games
- Cockermouth homes protestors go to the ombudsman (6 comments)
- Santa brings early Christmas cheer to Maryport
- West Cumbrian students launch a space mission
- Potter throws last clay as Cockermouth shop is sold
- Strictly Kirkgate raised £5,000 for Cockermouth arts centre project
- Match day flowers tribute to Workington Town scoreboard man (1 comment)