Jobs go as West Cumbrian car dealership shuts after 30 years
Last updated at 19:56, Thursday, 05 April 2012
Workington car dealership Graham and Bowness has closed down after more than 30 years in the town.
The Renault dealership, at Clay Flatts, was wound up on Friday with the loss of 11 jobs.
Ross Hodgson, dealer principal, said the firm’s owners had decided to close after changes within the Renault business, including a reduction in its car range and a new focus on electric cars.
He added: “We didn’t feel electric cars in West Cumbria were suitable for us just yet.
“We did try towards the back end of last year to sell the business on.
“There were no real takers so the only opportunity was to wind it up.”
Graham and Bowness was owned by the Irving family and the Hodgson family, both from Carlisle.
The firm previously had a Carlisle branch but sold that several years ago.
Mr Hodgson said the firm’s 11 staff had been made redundant but most had found new jobs.
He said: “We have written to our customers and we have explained the situation and told them where their nearest Renault dealerships are in the interim until Renault decide who they could put in our place.
“It’s very sad. It’s very difficult for us all.
“Most of the staff here have been with us for a long time. It’s a very difficult decision.”
First published at 19:23, Thursday, 05 April 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Renault are at the forefront of affordable electric car production. t would have been really good if, for a change, West Cumbria could have taken advantage of something like this from the start, instead of always having to jog along behind. What better test for an electric car than the challenging rural and urban mix of this side of the county?
Make your comment
- 45 people evacuated as bus catches fire near Cockermouth
- PHOTOS: St Michael's fire - 20 years on
- PHOTOS: Pints pull in the pounds at beer and cider festival
- Boats left high and dry after virtually rainless September
- West Cumbrian mum-to-be is super slimmer
- Chelsea Reynolds is a TV star with Sheridan Smith
- Shaun taps into Maryport pub (1 comment)
- It’s all about the money for a Workington school!
- Let Laura Speak fund keeps growing
- Aspatria headteacher to leave