Late night shopping to return to Cockermouth
Last updated at 15:31, Friday, 19 October 2012
Late night shopping will return to Cockermouth after a successful event last year.
Andrew Marshall, who owns Strolling4Shoes on Main Street, set up the late night event with 21 other businesses in the run-up to Christmas last year.
He hopes that more of the town will take part this time around.
The event will be known as The Spirit of Christmas and will take place between 5.30pm and 8pm on Thursday, November 8.
It is hoped shops will offer discounts, wine tastings or other promotions.
It is timed to avoid clashing with events in Workington and Carlisle.
Mr Marshall said: “We want people to make a night of it with all the pubs and restaurants open.
“Cockermouth has been described as the biggest department store in Britain as you can get everything you need in the town.
“If everybody just came and spent £20 to £30 we could all have a very good Christmas trade.”
Traders asked if Christmas lights on trees in Main Street and Market Place could be turned on for the evening.
Cockermouth Town Council agreed on Wednesday to the request by six votes to two.
First published at 11:52, Friday, 19 October 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Ex Maryport coastguard and his wife celebrate 50 golden years
- Final call-out for West Cumbrian fireman Brian
- Owners speak out in Cockermouth trees row
- Fight continues for Angel of the West in Workington
- Lottery blow for Cockermouth war commemorations
- Cockermouth Main Street dug up again after sewer collapse (1 comment)
- Dancewear shop set to open in Workington
- Cockermouth care home launches tea shop
- West Cumbrian high fliers on awards shortlist
- One Direction fans flock to Workington theatre show
- HAVE YOUR SAY: £300m West Cumbrian water supply move to save mussels (14 comments)
- Facelift for Workington Hall if council can stump up the £300,000 (7 comments)
- Workington man in court over child sex attack
- Tributes to West Cumbrian health worker found dead (2 comments)
- Call for action in Cockermouth over huge trees (5 comments)