Low fat sausages go down a treat
Last updated at 12:12, Friday, 16 August 2013
A Workington butcher’s low fat sausage has proved to be a hit with customers.
Marshall’s Butchers, on Corporation Road, developed the slimmer’s sausage after requests.
The thin sausage was developed from Marshall’s own Cumberland sausage recipe, but uses leg of pork and has around one per cent fat.
A normal sausage, made from shoulder of pork, has about 15 per cent fat.
The shop has sold 80kg of the sausages in just three days.
Manager Sam Peel said: “We put the sausages out last Friday and they were sold by the Saturday.”
Emma Mitchelhill, consultant with Slimming World, said: “I was spending about £200 on low fat sausages from a butcher in Lancashire because there was no one around here that made fresh low fat sausages.
“One of my members who is a customer of Marshall’s asked Sam if he would make a low fat sausage.
“We tasted the sausages last week at a class and they went down well with everyone.
“To be on a diet and be able to have sausage is absolutely amazing.”
First published at 12:02, Friday, 16 August 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington pub granted 4.30am licence
- Workington newsagent top Lottery fund-raiser
- Coal mining memorial planned for town centre
- Free surprise as Julie says it with flowers
- Teacher earns trophy by a whisker
- ‘Three-year wait’ for disc parking on Cockermouth street
- Council pair offer £9,000 to end years of misery for bus passengers
- Tony’s now a winner in his life-long battle of the bulge
- Cockermouth Beer Festival goes down a treat
- New lease of life for historic Workington pub