Mayor highlights business success stories
Last updated at 20:25, Thursday, 10 May 2012
Some of Workington’s industrial success stories were showcased to a group of dignitaries on Friday.
Mayor of Workington Nik Hardy led a party of county and town councillors and local business leaders on a tour of TIS Cumbria Ltd, Tata Steel, Iggesund and Amcor.
The aim of the visit was to highlight that the town still has a strong industrial base.
Their first stop was at TIS, on Derwent Drive, where they saw apprentices welding and designing products.
They were also shown the site where the steel fabrication firm will build a £1.7m base to house its workshops so it can turn its current building into an advanced training school.
Coun Hardy said: “Today is about highlighting what industries we have in the area and understanding what they do and how they do it.
“It is positive to see that so many apprentices have been taken on at TIS and that the company has invested in a new building.”
First published at 19:25, Thursday, 10 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Panel chairman to stay on despite complaints
- Giving students the chance to learn in a new way
- Support group helps people make the forward steps in their lives
- Paranormal hunt at Workington theatre
- Fletcher dances for top role
- Jail for West Cumbria bottle attack man
- Two men deny data protection charges
- Lawyers team up for a new online venture
- Your chance to help shape town’s new £9m leisure centre
- Workington's Body Shop will close on June 8