Mayor highlights business success stories
Last updated at 20:25, Thursday, 10 May 2012
Some of Workington’s industrial success stories were showcased to a group of dignitaries on Friday.
Mayor of Workington Nik Hardy led a party of county and town councillors and local business leaders on a tour of TIS Cumbria Ltd, Tata Steel, Iggesund and Amcor.
The aim of the visit was to highlight that the town still has a strong industrial base.
Their first stop was at TIS, on Derwent Drive, where they saw apprentices welding and designing products.
They were also shown the site where the steel fabrication firm will build a £1.7m base to house its workshops so it can turn its current building into an advanced training school.
Coun Hardy said: “Today is about highlighting what industries we have in the area and understanding what they do and how they do it.
“It is positive to see that so many apprentices have been taken on at TIS and that the company has invested in a new building.”
First published at 19:25, Thursday, 10 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Downies clinch second game in Workington series
- PHOTOS: Downies swing first victory against Uppies
- A66 at Keswick reopens after two-vehicle crash A66
- Pub back on tap after flood
- Restaurant now on the menu for cafe owners
- Doubts over new Aspatria rock festival
- Heat turned up in bid for lower energy bills
- Petition protest over plan for more homes on estate
- Old church has another new owner (1 comment)
- Moon jellies light up aquarium