Mayor highlights business success stories
Last updated at 20:25, Thursday, 10 May 2012
Some of Workington’s industrial success stories were showcased to a group of dignitaries on Friday.
Mayor of Workington Nik Hardy led a party of county and town councillors and local business leaders on a tour of TIS Cumbria Ltd, Tata Steel, Iggesund and Amcor.
The aim of the visit was to highlight that the town still has a strong industrial base.
Their first stop was at TIS, on Derwent Drive, where they saw apprentices welding and designing products.
They were also shown the site where the steel fabrication firm will build a £1.7m base to house its workshops so it can turn its current building into an advanced training school.
Coun Hardy said: “Today is about highlighting what industries we have in the area and understanding what they do and how they do it.
“It is positive to see that so many apprentices have been taken on at TIS and that the company has invested in a new building.”
First published at 19:25, Thursday, 10 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Cumbrian councillor played solitaire during meeting (41 comments)
- Severed fingertip discovered in West Cumbria
- Aspatria woman Laura starts to find her voice
- Flimby mum and daughter take action after diabetes shock
- Cash raised in memory of Workington dad Kevin
- Workington band is still going strong
- Pictures legacy left to Maryport museum
- Tune in to Public Service Broadcasting at West Cumbrian festival
- Pupils take murderous revenge in Cockermouth
- West Cumbrian hairdresser aims to be next Miss Cumbria