New Cockermouth gallery owners
Last updated at 19:45, Thursday, 12 July 2012
Two former customers of Cockermouth’s Castlegate Gallery have become its owners.
Steve and Christine Swallow, both 43, who are from just outside Cockermouth, have taken over the gallery from Chris Wadsworth, who founded it 25 years ago.
She decided to sell the gallery to concentrate on writing and is currently working on a sequel to her first book, Hercules and the Farmer’s Wife.
Steve and Christine said they were both passionate about 20th century art.
Steve said: “We were customers for more than two years here, and in 2011 I was talking with Christine and Chris and joked that one day we could end up owning our own gallery, so it was always in the back of our minds.
“Over Christmas and New Year we decided that we did actually want to run our own gallery so we approached Chris about it and said that potentially the move could work for both of us.”
Steve and Christine, fans of late Aspatria artist Sheila Fell, officially take over the gallery today and will hold their first exhibition next Friday which will run until September 8.
It will feature some of their favourite artists, including Fell, Workington artist Percy Kelly and Carel Weight, a senior member at the Royal Academy of Art.
Steve added: “We will try to build on what Chris has already successfully done.”
The gallery, which will be open seven days at week, will also feature work by potters Doug Fitch, Paul Young and Hannah McAndrew.
First published at 19:25, Thursday, 12 July 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (2 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Don't forget to pick up next week's Times & Star!
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status