Plans lodged for new Cockermouth skatepark
Last updated at 19:49, Friday, 03 January 2014
Plans have been lodged to turn a Cockermouth warehouse into an indoor skatepark.
Peggy Bradshaw, owner of Jordan’s Jungle on Lorton Street, has submitted an application to Allerdale council.
She also wants to put a dance studio and a party room in the warehouse, next door to her existing play centre, which was used to house businesses after the 2009 floods.
Mrs Bradshaw has a 10-year lease on the building, which is owned by Mitchells, and wants to run the skatepark as a community project.
She said it would support local businesses by giving people another reason to go into the town.
Mrs Bradshaw is already looking for funding for the skatepark, which will be primarily for older teenagers with skateboards, BMX bikes and roller blades. Her plans follow requests from children.
Local builders have already offered to help build the ramps and it is hoped that it could be open by the summer, if all the necessary permissions are granted.
It would open during school holidays, at weekends and some evenings and would be supervised at all times.
Mrs Bradshaw launched Jordan’s Jungle in 2008 and its youth cafe often attracts up to 100 teenagers on Monday and Friday nights.
Cumbria police said the cafe had resulted in a fall in anti-social behaviour in the town.
First published at 19:11, Friday, 03 January 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
We are in the Collector's Corner shop nearby and it's been great to see this enterprise running for families and youngsters in the town. We wish Peggy every success with her latest venture.
Make your comment
- Workington restaurant becomes first host with Times & Star Heart Start campaign
- Buttermere backs Times & Star defibrillator campaign
- Volunteers learn to save lives through Times & Star campaign
- Times & Star staff and customers back defibrillator campaign
- Search for World War Two trio who helped seize leading Nazi
- Stroke victim Peter praises lifesavers
- Greggs branch closing (2 comments)
- New West Cumbrian bar and bistro will create 20 jobs (2 comments)
- Freeze on Allerdale councillors' allowances (4 comments)
- £2.5m wave energy boost for West Cumbrian firm