Rugby shirts from Maryport prove popular Down Under
Last updated at 11:52, Friday, 23 November 2012
A Maryport retailer is boosting his business by selling official Australian rugby league shirts – to fans in Australia.
Paul McGlennon has moved his Sportszone shop in Wood Street from small premises to a larger unit next door, which was formerly occupied by babywear business Great Expectations.
Mr McGlennon said: “It has more storage room for my internet business which is taking off.
“I buy rugby league club shirts made in Australia and I am able to sell them for £55 plus postage, say £65 altogether.
“To buy the Australian made rugby top in Australia would cost the equivalent of about £110.
“A friend recently moved to Australia and took some of my posters with him. I am now selling tops to workers on an Australian oil rig.
“I am getting online orders from all over the world.”
Mr McGlennon started his Maryport shop in 1995 and this is his third premises.
He said: “I have been helped by the fact that local sports clubs have supported me.”
First published at 11:03, Friday, 23 November 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Bid to install defibrillators in phone boxes
- CN Group Business Awards launched
- Tuck in to Eats!
- Settlement fears over bid to move admin staff
- Police to move from Marvejols Park base
- New-look pub open
- £500,000 for major upgrade at care home
- New boost for Workington centre’s development
- 80-year-old twins celebrate birthday
- Organiser Gary to launch yet another trawler race weekend