West Cumbria hairdresser celebrates 10 years
Last updated at 14:20, Monday, 14 June 2010
A West Cumbria hairdressing salon has celebrated its 10th anniversary with a party to thank its customers for their support.
Barberella, in Vulcans Lane, Workington, opened in June 2000 with two rooms and has since been extended to offer beauty treatments, across four rooms in two properties.
Owner Carmen Skelton, 33, has been a hairdresser for 17 years and began the salon with no clients, relying on word of mouth to increase her customer base.
She said: “I started off with just me and my mum shampooing. I had just moved back from Manchester and every customer that came through the door was a bonus and a relief, and every time they came back it was even better.”
The salon now has customers from far and wide, including some from Manchester and Liverpool.
Carmen added: “Lots of customers have been here since the start. You get to know them really well and it becomes a friendship and a partnership.”
Carmen credits her team for building up a successful business.
The salon staff of five regularly go on days out together and attend the Blackpool Hair Show and London Salon Show every year to pick up new ideas and styles.
She said: “You are only as good as your team and without their support and enthusiasm we wouldn’t have got this far.”
The thank-you party was held at the Castle Bar in Cockermouth on June 12.
First published at 12:43, Monday, 14 June 2010
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Don't forget to pick up this week's Times & Star!
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (3 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status