West Cumbria young athletes to star on TV
Last updated at 19:58, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Two Workington students will star in an advert for Maryport factory New Balance to promote the company before the Olympic Games.
Kimberley Hawkins and Oliver Lithgow, both 17, are members of Seaton Athletic Club and attend Workington Sixth Form Centre.
They were nominated for the advert through their former school, Southfield Technology College, and were invited to film scenes at Honister Pass and the New Balance factory in Flimby.
Kimberley is a county champion in the 100 metres and long jump and top points scorer in the Northern Cumbrian League.
Oliver is a county champion in the 100m, 200m and 400m, a top points scorer in the Northern Cumbrian League and an under-17 county 400m record holder.
The TV advert, which was filmed over two days, will run for three weeks. It is hoped it will appear before the Olympics, which start on July 27, and is expected to feature on ITV, Channel 4 and Sky.
Kimberley, who filmed at Honister, said: “The weather was very unkind to us, as we had to film in the rain, wind and snow. It was freezing.
“After repeating the scene over 18 times the crew finally got their footage.
“We all got to keep our New Balance kit and trainers, which made up for the very cold day in the mountains. Overall it was very exciting and a great experience. I had a fantastic day.”
Oliver, who is at a national level and was filmed running through the New Balance factory, said: “I had a great day and enjoyed taking part in a new experience that I will never forget.”
First published at 19:22, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Former aquarium worker’s £118,000 theft charge
- Inspirational Kelly is the pride of Cumbria
- Injured soldier’s royal games joy
- Cockermouth infant school mum eyes top award
- Cathy’s cooking up a storm
- Nature reserve under threat from beck silt
- Police identify dead man found in West Cumbrian park
- Mourners say farewell to Maryport man killed after fall from Eastbourne Pier
- Honour the heroes of our communities
- VIDEO: Young film-maker Lee tackles a tough issue