West Cumbrian firm’s apprentice accolade
Last updated at 12:15, Friday, 12 October 2012
A Flimby engineering firm has won a regional award for its commitment to young people.
Forth Engineering has beaten businesses across Cumbria, Lancashire and Merseyside to win the Regional National Apprenticeship Awards.
It will now compete in the national finals in Birmingham next month.
Mark Telford, the firm’s managing director, said apprenticeships were the backbone of the company.
Four of its five directors are ex-apprentices, including two who have risen through the ranks in Flimby.
Emma Bragg, 26, who is finance director, began as a business apprentice at Forth Engineering aged 19. Graham Cartwright, 27, project director, started his career with Forth as an engineering apprentice.
Mr Telford began his own career as an apprentice before founding Forth Engineering and said he recognised the value of a good apprenticeship.
He added: “The only downside for us is that, because we are a small company, we often lose our apprentices once they have finished. They go on to bigger firms with more money.”
Forth Engineering employs 18 staff, five of whom are apprentices.
In the past seven years the company has taken on 14 apprentices.
Cumbria County Council won the award in the large business category of the competition.
First published at 11:56, Friday, 12 October 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Workington restaurant becomes first host with Times & Star Heart Start campaign
- Buttermere backs Times & Star defibrillator campaign
- Volunteers learn to save lives through Times & Star campaign
- Times & Star staff and customers back defibrillator campaign
- Search for World War Two trio who helped seize leading Nazi
- Stroke victim Peter praises lifesavers
- Greggs branch closing
- New West Cumbrian bar and bistro will create 20 jobs (2 comments)
- Freeze on Allerdale councillors' allowances (3 comments)
- £2.5m wave energy boost for West Cumbrian firm