West Cumbrian flowers take centre stage with Alan Titchmarsh
Last updated at 12:44, Friday, 28 September 2012
Silk flowers from Workington are taking centre stage in dozens of TV shows – including housewife’s favourite Alan Titchmarsh’s daily chat show.
Decoflora, on Solway Road, was asked by the production company of the ITV show to supply pink and purple flowers to dress the set for its 60 episodes and owner Helen Benson was happy to oblige.
Mrs Benson, 49, of Ruskin Close, High Harrington, said: “I was quite taken aback that a gardener wanted silk flowers over real ones but I was told that Alan likes silk flowers as long as they are good quality. It was quite an accolade that the show contacted us.
“More shows are choosing silk flowers because they don’t wilt under studio lights.
“We supplied flowers for the X-Factor in 2011 and everything snowballed from there.”
Decoflora has also supplied flowers for Red and Black, Made in Chelsea, The One Show and Popstar to Opera Star as well as fashion and beauty firms Estée Lauder, Radley and Stella McCartney.
Mrs Benson, a former accountant for Robinson and Co in Workington, started the business 21 years ago after husband Alan, 48, was made redundant.
Her mother Pat Billingham took over after 18 months when Mrs Benson had her second child, Paul.
Mrs Billingham died suddenly three years ago, aged 67 and Mrs Benson decided to go back into the business.
Mrs Benson added: “I hope my mum would be very proud. I don’t think she would quite believe the way things have gone.”
First published at 11:56, Friday, 28 September 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- West Cumbrian rapist sentenced to 12 years in prison
- Firm keeps La’al Ratty on track
- Hotel copule earn top AA award
- Hotel puts its energy into biomass boiler
- Chamber launches West Cumbria business breakfast
- Former lecturer restores rotting Maryport boat
- Vandals take plaques in memory of Great Clifton teen David Foster (7 comments)
- Cat killed in Workington dog attack (1 comment)
- Broughton Moor care home approved despite objections (4 comments)
- Maryport plans tourism drive with Mary Portas cash (1 comment)