Family in plea over fears that cat has been stolen and killed
Last updated at 21:07, Thursday, 09 August 2012
A Maryport family have handed police CCTV footage which they believe shows their pet cat being stolen.
Tina, 44, and Alan Rogerson, 61, and Tina’s son Charlie Little, 21, of Thirlmere Road, say the film appears to show a man picking up the cat by its tail.
Footage seems to show the animal clawing frantically but then being picked up by the neck before the man and cat disappear.
They fear it may have since been killed.
Two men, a 24-year-old from Aspatria and a 20-year-old from Maryport, have been arrested and bailed pending further investigations into the incident.
Mrs Rogerson said her family have had Felix, a 13-year-old tabby with white chest and socks, since he was six weeks old.
Mr Rogerson said the cat really belonged to Charlie, who was eight when they got it.
Charlie, who is in the army and has done a tour of Afghanistan, is home on two weeks leave. He said: “I am devastated.”
Mrs Rogerson said: “Everyone in the neighbourhood knows Felix. He sometimes sits in the middle of the road but everyone watches for him.”
Mr Rogerson said he awoke just after midnight on Friday morning and let the cat out.
Mrs Rogerson said the family had been out looking for it every day.
They believe that Felix is not the only cat to have disappeared from the area.
They said they would offer a reward to anyone who can help them find Felix.
“We want him back, even if it is a body that we get. If he has died we can at least bury him,” said Mrs Rogerson.
The Rogersons have three cats including Felix, two dogs and two rabbits.
Police say that anyone with information can contact PC2189 Blainey on 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 19:19, Thursday, 09 August 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Cockermouth woman Gloria Edwards writes book of wartime memories
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold (1 comment)
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (6 comments)