Possible bomb found on Workington beach
Published at 09:43, Friday, 26 October 2012
Police were called to Workington Docks yesterday after a man found what he thought might be a bomb on the beach.
A police spokeswoman said: “Police were informed by a member of the public that they had seen what was described as old World War artillery was stuck in the sand near to the Workington Docks."
A bomb disposal team was called to assess the situation.
The spokesman added: "Upon first examination, it was initially considered that this may not be bomb.
"Due to the item being in the water, specialist officers from the Royal Navy will attend today to assess the situation, at low tide.
"There is no danger to the public.”
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (1 comment)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Don't forget to pick up next week's Times & Star!
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status