Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 07 July 2015

Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run

A Workington man was left for dead by a suspected hit-and-run driver.

Michael McDonald, 35, was found by friends lying in the middle of the road in the early hours of Sunday.

He was walking home from a wedding reception at Hunday Manor, Winscales, when he was struck by a car that failed to stop.

His nose was broken in four places, his cheekbone shattered and his wrist fractured.

It is only within the last few days that he has been able to open his swollen left eye, he said.

Mr McDonald, who was wearing dark clothes, was walking back to Stanbeck Meadows at around 12.30am when he was hit near Hunday Farm.

He was spotted by a taxi driver on the narrow road between Workington and the hotel. Ian Moore and his partner Hayley Winthorpe were in the taxi at the time.

Mr McDonald said: “They said they were not far from running over the top of me.”

Another friend checked his airways were clear before an ambulance took him to the West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven.

The father-of-two said he remembered stepping back to let at least one car pass him but has no memory of the vehicle that actually hit him.

He said: “I know I have been hit because of the extent of my injuries but I couldn’t say if it was a car or even a bus.”

Mr McDonald, a roofer, is recuperating at home. He said he had been drinking but wasn’t drunk.

He added: “It was just an accident but it was the fact they left me there in the road which bothers me.”

He said he would never again attempt to walk home in the dark.

Mr McDonald’s wife Lucy, who was also at the wedding reception, spoke of her relief that he had not been killed.

She said the two were childhood sweethearts.

They have two children together – Alfie, 10, and Lexie, six.

No arrests have been made, and police inquiries are continuing.

Anyone with information can call police on 101.


Hot jobs
Search for:


Would you consider cancelling your holiday abroad following the events in Tunisia?



Show Result