Workington man in court over child sex attack
Last updated at 12:33, Friday, 29 August 2014
A man has appeared in court accused of trying to rape a nine-year-old girl in the public toilets of a Workington park.
John Robert Newton, 26, of Fisher Street, Workington, faces charges of attempted rape, committing an assault causing actual bodily harm with the intention of committing a sexual offence, voyeurism and a separate linked assault.
He is also accused of two counts of breaching a court order imposed after a previous conviction.
Newton, wearing a dark jumper over a red top, sat in the dock at West Cumbria Magistrates Court this morning with his jumper partially covering his face then looking at the floor as details of the alleged offences were put to him.
The court heard that Newton is accused of entering the ladies’ toilets in the cafe at Vulcan Park on Tuesday.
It is alleged that he used a mobile phone to record the girl in a cubicle before forcing his way into the cubicle and assaulting her.
He is accused of common assault against another person at the scene.
The case was sent to Carlisle Crown Court, where Newton will appear for a preliminary hearing on September 15.
He was remanded in custody.
First published at 11:50, Friday, 29 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Artwork reflects Maryport history
- Little Clifton couple on a mission to help Gambia
- Tune in to Maryport man's pampered pooch TV reality show
- West Cumbrian village bus service is axed (4 comments)
- Dog-friendly Keswick pub set to reopen (2 comments)
- Maryport bus cuts hit traders (1 comment)
- Award chance for Greysouthen writer
- Green Maryport firm hailed by presenter Kevin McCloud
- Funeral tributes to Flimby man Brian
- Resounding ‘no’ to plan to sell-off Lorton community hall