Workington man sentenced for death by dangerous driving
Published at 14:47, Friday, 13 July 2012
A Workington man will serve almost seven years in prison for causing death by dangerous driving.
Lee Thomas Walley, 36, of Beverley Close, Workington was sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court for causing the death of James McKenzie.
On March 7, Walley’s Volkswagen Golf was in a head-on collision with a Ford Focus driven by Mr McKenzie at Honister Drive, Workington.
Mr McKenzie died as a result of the multiple injuries he received in the collision.
Walley was described by witnesses as driving at excessive speed and was overtaking vehicles on the approach to a left hand bend.
It was also shown that at the time of this collision that he was under the influence of drugs.
He was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment, but as he had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity, this was reduced to six years and eight months.
He was also banned from driving for eight years.
Sergeant Jo Walker, who was the senior investigating officer for the case, said: “Mr McKenzie's family were satisfied with the result, nothing will ever bring him back but today's sentencing has given them some closure.
“On the 7th of March Walley not only drove in a dangerous manner but also had drugs in his system at the time.
"His actions resulted in the devastating loss for Mr McKenzie’s family and my deepest sympathies go out to them.
"If people chose to risk not only their own lives but that of others by carrying out these types of actions, then they will be prosecuted and risk being sent to prison for a lengthy period of time.”
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21