War veteran Simon Weston to speak at awards night
Last updated at 13:18, Friday, 21 February 2014
Falklands War veteran Simon Weston will be the keynote speaker at a Maryport school’s annual awards evening.
Mr Weston, 52, will hand out prizes at the Netherhall School event on March 28.
He is one of Britain’s most respected former soldiers after he recovered from 46 per cent burns suffered in the 1982 bombing of the RFA Sir Galahad in the Falkland Islands. He endured years of reconstructive surgery.
Mr Weston, who received an OBE in 1992, is now an author, public speaker and charity worker.
Jonathan Johnson, Netherhall headteacher, invited Mr Weston after hearing him speak at an education conference five years ago.
He said: “With 2014 being the centenary of World War One, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to get someone of that calibre to speak at our awards.”
First published at 13:11, Friday, 21 February 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington's Emily is still smiling
- 100 jobs masterplan revealed by M-Sport
- Mutiny on Cockermouth's Main Street (4 comments)
- Workington road will close for resurfacing (1 comment)
- Gilcrux pub to reopen after flood
- Workington care home admissions suspended
- Piglet boom at West Cumbria animal park
- Pulling in beer lovers in Workington
- Council is selling Workington's Old Rectory
- Woman found dead in Workington toilet named