Maryport NHS dentists to open next week
Last updated at 09:52, Friday, 29 May 2009
MARYPORT’S new NHS dental practice will open on Tuesday.
It is the first of four new surgeries providing an additional 30,000 places in West Cumbria by the end of the year.
Around 10,000 people applied for places following an announcement of the new surgeries.
An NHS spokeswoman said there were now 26,361 people on the database compared with 16,500 before the NHS called for applications.
Workington’s surgery will be open in August, according to Oasis Dental Care Ltd which won the £1.75m contract to provide the new surgeries.
The Maryport surgery will have 5,000 places and two dentists and the Workington practice will provide 10,000 places split between four dentists.
There will be also be 10,000 places in Whitehaven and 5,000 in Egremont.
The Maryport surgery will be in Brunswick House on Bridge Street, which has been converted from offices.
As well as two dentists it will have three nurses and two receptionists.
The Workington practice will have four dentists, four nurses and two receptionists.
David Tyson, NHS Cumbria dentistry commissioner, said that people who had waited the longest on the dental database were being offered the first opportunity to register with Oasis Dental Care.
He said: “To ensure fairness, letters are being sent out in batches of 1,000 at a time so that patients can be given a choice in selecting which of the new practices they wish to attend.”
He was confident that “a great many” of those on the database would be given access to a dentist. The allocation process would speed up as each practice opened.
He said that if people did not receive a letter immediately, he could reassure them that they would not miss the opportunity to receive NHS dentistry.
First published at 19:28, Thursday, 28 May 2009
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- GET INVOLVED: Uppies and Downies 2014
- Workington dad in 'gizza job' plea (11 comments)
- Keeper Leanne talks to the animals at Lake District park
- Major blow in fight to save Cockermouth church
- Lorton dinner lady says farewell
- New Roman dig starts in Maryport
- Fishing fleet seascape is unveiled in Maryport (1 comment)
- Maryport teen Rebecca, 16, loses cancer battle (1 comment)
- Workington teen on TV show Jockey School
- West Cumbrians cook up a treat on Come Dine With Me (1 comment)