New West Cumbrian operating theatre cuts waiting times
Last updated at 21:32, Thursday, 14 June 2012
Maryport hospital’s upgraded operating theatre has been officially opened.
The Victoria Cottage Hospital refurbishment, which cost £177,000, means that patients in West Cumbria can elect to have day surgical procedures, including hernia operations, at Maryport.
Dr Martin White, GP and surgeon, said: “We offer the advantage that patients come in at an appointed time for their surgery. In larger hospitals patients usually have to be there early in the morning and then wait for their turn.”
It marks a major step forward for the cottage hospital, which seven years ago was under threat of closure.
Funding for the building refurbishment and new equipment has been provided by NHS Cumbria.
Medical equipment including a theatre light and operating table, which were previously funded by the hospital’s League of Friends, will also be used.
Michelle Mulcahy, Maryport Health Services business manager, said surgery provision strengthened the importance of the local hospital.
She said: “It makes economic sense. It costs about £1,000 less per patient having surgery performed here than it would in a general hospital.”
Surgery carried out at Maryport includes vasectomies, hernia operations, carpel tunnel decompression, trigger finger correction and skin cancer surgery.
Derek Thornthwaite, 78, of James Street, Maryport, who had a hernia operation performed by Dr White, said: “I got an appointment within days. It was set for 10am and I was back home at 11.30am. I can’t fault the service.”
First published at 19:24, Thursday, 14 June 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cockermouth NatWest branch closes suddenly
- M-Sport's Ryan is engineering success story
- Air cadets ready for take off thanks to coach firm
- Workington honours forces heroes
- Workington physics trio scoop science cash
- East 17 head to Workington for Castle Rock
- Worry over future of West Cumbrian lake (1 comment)
- MP supports Workington man’s call for new organ donation system (3 comments)
- Workington school IT course hits problems (3 comments)
- Tributes to ‘one of Maryport’s loveliest men’ (4 comments)