Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Probe launched into Maryport woman's hospital death

An investigation has been launched into a Maryport woman’s death at Whitehaven’s West Cumberland Hospital.

SEEKING ANSWERS: Michael Thompson, of Maple Close, Maryport, with a picture of his wife Linda, who died in Whitehaven’s West Cumberland Hospital last October. An investigation into her death has been launched

Michael Thompson, 66, of Maple Close, said he was still waiting for answers from health bosses over the death of his wife Linda, 12 months ago.

He said he was concerned that Mrs Thompson, 65, had not been given enough to eat or drink in her final days and wanted to know what drugs she was given in her last hours.

He said he had written to the hospital several times and attempted to meet with hospital staff.

But, he added: “We have had two meetings, in which I was told that the meeting would have to be postponed because they did not have Linda’s notes.

“Surely if you are having a meeting about someone’s care you bring the notes?”

An NHS spokeswoman said last night: “We want to reassure Mr Thompson that we are carrying out a detailed investigation involving clinical and nursing teams and we will be sharing all details with Mr Thompson and his family.”

Mr Thompson said his wife of 43 years had been ill for some time and been fed through a tube into her stomach for about 15 months before she died on October 15 last year.

When she was admitted to hospital after a recurrence of pneumonia, Mr Thompson said he became concerned that there was not enough food and fluid getting into her system.

He said: “At one stage the peg into her stomach was leaking. On another occasion a nurse came to give fluids and told me the peg seemed to be blocked and left the room.”

He said his wife’s death still tormented him.

He added: “She had been given medication earlier in the evening which I was told was paracetamol. Then, just after midnight, she was given more drugs. Just minutes later she sat up with what I can only describe as terror on her face and the next minute she collapsed back down.

“I hugged her but I knew she had died.

“I want to know why her death was so sudden and so frightening.

“All I want are answers and, if it is warranted, an apology.

“I feel I am just being fobbed off. I get told people will contact me and they never do.”


Hot jobs
Search for:


Should a new nuclear reactor be built at Moorside, near Sellafield, by NuGen?



Show Result