Workington First Responder Neil is all by himself
Last updated at 12:57, Friday, 01 March 2013
This is the only man now responsible for initially responding to emergencies in Workington.
Neil Hurst, 48, of Holden Road, is the sole remaining member of the town’s First Responders group which answers emergencies in the town centre, Moorclose, Salterbeck, Harrington and Westfield.
Mr Hurst can be called out before paramedics to incidents involving heart attacks and diabetic comas.
He is on call 24 hours a day and is desperate for other volunteers to come forward to help.
Neil’s fellow responders Susan McCullough, 32, of Cockfield Drive, Westfield, and Janet Richardson, of Wasterwater Avenue, stepped down a few weeks ago.
The trio set up the team last year.
Mr Hurst, a member of St John Ambulance for 12 years, said: “We need more members to come forward so we can go out to more incidents. Ambulances may not be available so it is vital someone can get to the scene quickly to give life-saving help.”
Married to Pauline, 46, he has three children, Paula, Craig and Jane, and he has been applying for grants for equipment.
Anyone interested in joining should call 07999170500.
First published at 12:52, Friday, 01 March 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Fightback begins as Cockermouth Main Street reopens (1 comment)
- Volunteer drivers step up after Maryport bus cuts (2 comments)
- Work begins on Workington snooker hall demolition
- Security increased at theft-hit West Cumbrian church
- Maryport girl becomes youngest qualified diver in Cumbria
- West Cumbria GP to join fight against deadly Ebola
- West Cumbrian village hall work pays off
- New group planned to give a voice to Workington traders
- Cockermouth School to consult again on switching to an academy
- Battle on against Workington turbines
- Four Workington pubs sold
- Two weeks to act over Cumbrian parking permits charge (10 comments)
- Snooker hall demolition planned in Workington (2 comments)
- Green Maryport firm hailed by presenter Kevin McCloud (1 comment)
- West Cumbrian village bus service is axed (7 comments)