Classrooms put together in just a day
Last updated at 08:21, Thursday, 24 July 2014
A new £800,000 two-storey classroom block was lifted into place at Cockermouth School this week.
The eight-classroom building was transported in modules for workers from Aspatria contractor Roland Hill to fitting it together in one day.
Its construction began in January at Roland Hill’s warehouse and the 22 modules were transported to the school on Monday.
The block includes eight classrooms, corridors, a staircase, disabled toilets and staff room.
It had been decorated and fitted out at the warehouse with electric wiring and plumbing.
Four of the classrooms were transported to the school with fully installed IT suites.
The block will replace six classrooms in a portable building.
Sue Bamforth, the school’s business manager, added: “The module approach keeps costs down and allows for flexibility because you can add more to it in future.”
The modular construction has reduced the time for workers to be on site and allows the project to be completed in the school holidays.
The aim of the development is to bring departments together and accommodate the whole of year eight.
It will be ready for the new school year on September and was funded by Cumbria County Council.
The school is also having its 14-year-old all-weather pitch replaced at a cost of £207,365 this summer.
Half of the funding is lottery money from Sport England. The other half has been raised over 14 years from income generated by hire of the facility to local users and community clubs.
First published at 08:20, Thursday, 24 July 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold (1 comment)
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21